For those located in the US or Canada, you can use calculated shipping when you use USPS, Canada Post, or Global Postal Shipping. Additionally, when you purchase shipping labels on Etsy, details from the order will be imported automatically into the shipping label purchase page.
You will save time when you use calculated shipping because after setting things up, your shipping labels on Etsy will already be pre-filled with the mail class, dimensions, and weight of each order.
There are three main steps you will have to do the set up calculated shipping on Etsy:
- Setting up a calculated shipping profile
- Adding weight and size information to your listings
- Adding calculated shipping profile to your listings
For items that are too small or big for USPS, Canada Post, or Global Postal Shipping, you can set your shipping rates later.
Setting up Calculated Shipping Profile
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to set up a calculated shipping profile:
- Go to Shop Manager.
- Then, select Settings.
- Go to Shipping Settings.
- You can edit an existing profile or add a new one.
- Choose Calculate them for me next to Shipping costs.
- Enter the origin postal/zip code where you will be shipping your items from. Etsy calculates the rate, based on the location.
- Choose a Processing Time.
- Confirm where you want to ship your products. Here, you can remove or add other countries, but your own country is a required shipping destination.
- Confirm the shipping services you want to offer your customers.
- After that, choose if you want to offer free shipping.
- Choose if you want to add an optional handling fee.
- Assign a name for your shipping profile.
- Finally, click Create Profile.
Adding Weight and Size Information to Your Listings
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to add weight and size information to your listings:
- Go to Shop Manager > Listings
- Click Quick Edit
- Choose a listing where you want to use calculated shipping and enter the weight of the product next to Item Weight.
- After that, enter the item’s size after it has been prepared for packing but not packaged yet (e.g. folded but not boxed) next to Item Size (when packed).
- Click Exit Quick Edit
Be accurate with the size and weight of your item, because they are needed to calculate what type of box to use, the package weight, and the weight and size of the box. Inaccuracy will affect the postage cost of the buyer during checkout.
If you choose not to use the default box sizes of Etsy, you can add the boxes you prefer as package preferences. Don’t forget to disable Etsy’s default box sizes.
Adding a Calculated Shipping Profile to Your Listings
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to add a calculated shipping profile to your listings:
- To select the listings that you want to add a shipping profile to, click the checkbox on the listing.
- Click Editing options
- Then go to Change shipping profiles.
- Select your shipping profile then click Apply.
- Click Publish when you are ready.
For more Etsy shipping tips, check out our article, The Policies Behind Etsy Shipping. What You Need To Know